It is getting to be that time of year when snow, ice and extreme cold may cause disruptions to school. Listed below is information on how we make decisions regarding calamity days.
We closely monitor the weather forecast (www.weather.gov) for snow and extremely cold
temperatures throughout the winter months. We also maintain communication with the local road crews and police, and
Whenever possible, the decision to close school will be made the
previous evening. However, closings may be announced as late as 6 a.m.
depending on a variety of factors.
The district has no specific temperature policy for cancelling school,
but we use the National Weather Service Wind-chill Chart as a guide, based on
their methodology found at (https://www.weather.gov/safety/cold-wind-chill-chart).
In addition, we closely monitor road conditions and the ability of our buses to
run on time. We will most likely have school if the temperatures remain in the
lightest blue color on the chart and the buses are running on time. However, it
is not uncommon for us to close when the wind-chill is -15 or colder for a
sustained period of time. We make decisions that are in the best interest of
our students with safety as our number one priority.
Parents know their children best. If parents are concerned for their children's safety getting to and from school or activities, we respect their right to keep them home.
When the Lake Local Schools CLOSE:
- All evening activities in grades K-8 are cancelled.
- High school evening activities may take place depending on the weather throughout the day. Communication regarding such events will be made by relevant coaches or advisors.
- Preschool classes are cancelled.
- Career Tech classes are cancelled for Lake Local students.
- Community groups scheduled to use school facilities (e.g., youth athletic leagues, Scouts, etc.) will have their events cancelled.
When the Lake Local Schools DELAY:
- Career Tech morning bus runs will be announced.
- All buses will operate on a two-hour delay.
When the decision to close school is made, parents will receive a phone
call from the district, and the information will be posted on our website www.lakelocal.org and all major local radio/television