Vision and hearing screenings for students in grades K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th will be completed in the fall. Screenings are also completed on all new students to the district regardless of grade. The screenings will be completed according to the State of Ohio Guidelines. https://odh.ohio.gov/know-our-programs/children-s-hearing-vision-program/requirements. Students whose parents requested on Final Forms that they be exempt from these state- mandated screenings will not be screened.
Notification of results will only be sent out to those students who DO NOT pass the screening. Please contact the designated school nurse for your building with any questions or concerns that you may have.
Why is it important to have your child’s vision screened?
Young children with vision problems do not know the way that they see the world is not the way
they should be seeing it! Without early detection and treatment, children’s vision problems can lead
to permanent vision loss and learning difficulties.
Why is it important to have your student’s hearing screened?
• Hearing is important for speech, language development, reading and learning.
• A hearing screening can detect if your student needs further hearing testing.
• Even if your student has passed a hearing screening previously, their hearing can change.
• Hearing problems can be related to medical problems.
• Hearing loss is invisible, and your student may appear to be not paying attention.