Flyers Policies and Procedures
1. Submit an electronic file of the literature as a PDF through the online Flyer Submission Form with a description of the proposed recipients and date to distribute.
2. A decision will be made within ten (10) school days after the request for approval is submitted, unless additional time is needed to more fully determine the propriety of the proposed distribution.
3. If flyer is approved the person requesting approval will be notified by email.
4. If approval for distribution is denied, the decision may be appealed to the Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee in writing and shall state the reasons why the appellant believes the denial of approval was incorrect. The Superintendent or designee shall conduct such investigation as he/she deems necessary and shall render his/her decision in writing with five (5) school days after receiving the written appeal, except when, in his/her judgment, additional time is needed to more fully determine the propriety of the proposed distribution.
Method of Flyer Distribution
1. All approved flyers will be posted on the flyer connections web page for up to 60 days.
2. No recipient may be charged a fee to receive flyers.
3. Hard copy flyers will no longer be distributed in schools.
Literature must comply with the following guidelines in order to be approved for distribution.
1. The flyer must not appear to bear the authority of the school, must not be primarily commercial in nature and must display a disclaimer such as: “The opinions, products, activities and/or services of this organization are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the school district.”
2. The flyer must contain the name of the sponsoring entity; contact information of the sponsor/organizer and specific information about the date, time and location of the event/camp/activity.
3. Submission forms must be completed, including targeted grade levels and dates of distribution as well as all other requested information.
4. The content of the flyer/literature must be appropriate for the age and maturity level of the recipient; and distribution of the flyer must not be inconsistent with or interfere with the educational mission of the district.
5. Flyers that concern sexual or reproductive issues shall not be approved for distribution.
6. Flyers that promote or oppose any political figure, candidate or issue, including ballot issues of any kind, shall not be approved for distribution, with the exception of those pertaining to district levies, bond issues and board campaigns. Exceptions may be granted by the Board of Education for issues that directly affect Lake Local Schools. These exceptions must have board resolution.